Investigators who intend to conduct research involving controlled substances may lawfully obtain and use such substances in bona fide research upon approval from the California Research Advisory Panel and the IRB pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 11480 or Section 11481. Complete records of receipts, stocks at hand, and use of these controlled substances shall be kept.

The Vice President for Research Affairs should be consulted and may disallow the research. Please contact the IRB for further information.

The Research Advisory Panel (350 McAllister Street, Room 6000, San Francisco, California 94102) consists of representatives of: the State Department of Public Health, the State Department of Mental Hygiene, the Chairman of the Interagency Council on Drug Abuse, the California State Board of Pharmacy, the Attorney General's Office, and a private university selected annually by the Governor.